Philando Castile Family Releases Carry Permit Documentation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FALCON HEIGHTS, Minnesota (CNN) — Days after a police officer shot Philando Castile the investigations into his death is far from over.

But new details are emerging in the case that has sparked protests nationwide and debate over whether officers used excessive force.

Family releases carry permit documentation

Castile had a carry permit for the handgun that was with him at the time of the shooting, according to a document his family provided to CNN.

A letter that accompanied the permit, dated June 4, 2015, and issued by the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, includes guidelines about the document.

“You must display the permit card and identification document upon lawful demand by a peace officer,” the letter says.

In her video of the aftermath of the shooting, Diamond Reynolds, Castile’s fiancée recorded the shooting aftermath in a Facebook Live video. Reynolds said Castile was reaching for his identification when an officer shot him.

The sheriff’s office told CNN last week that it couldn’t confirm or deny whether Castile — or anyone else — has a permit to carry a firearm.


Police chief: Governor’s claim ‘hurt me’

What happened after the video that showed Castile bleeding inside a car went black?

Rick Mathwig says recent reports don’t line up with reality. Mathwig is the police chief in Roseville, Minnesota. His officers weren’t the ones who pulled over Castile or fired the fatal gunshots. But they responded to the scene in Falcon Heights after the shooting. In an interview with CNN, Mathwig made several points:


• Officers started administering CPR three minutes after arriving at the scene, trying to save Castile’s life, Mathwig says. “It hurt me … to hear the governor of Minnesota saying that Mr. Castile did not receive CPR,” he says.

• Diamond Reynolds, Castile’s fiancée who recorded the shooting aftermath in a Facebook Live video, wasn’t detained by police all night, Mathwig says. The police chief says she was held for about two hours in what’s called a “soft interview room” because it also contains toys, books and blankets.


• Mathwig says investigators did what they could to help Reynolds and her 4-year-old daughter. Before dropping her off at home, Mathwig says an officer gave the child a teddy bear.

Judge Glenda Hatchett, an attorney for the Castile family, told CNN on Wednesday that the investigation into what happened leading up to the shooting — and afterward — is just beginning.

“Was there a delay? There’s a question about whether he was taken to the closest trauma center,” she said. “There are a lot of unanswered questions.”

Racial profiling?

As the investigation continues, details are emerging about Castile’s past encounters with police. Since 2002, law enforcement in Minnesota had pulled over the school cafeteria supervisor at least 52 times, according to state court records. He was charged with a number of offenses, including driving without proof of insurance, but many of the cases against him were dismissed.

Castile was pulled over an average of more than three times a year, something that protesters argue is a sign of racial profiling.


One profiling expert told CNN he agreed.

“I would say that, looking at the record, it’s consistent with a pattern of being racially profiled,” says Myron Orfield, a professor of civil rights and civil liberties law at the University of Minnesota.

“He’s got an awful lot of stops,” Orfield says. “It suggests a pattern of very excessive policing.”

An attorney for the officer who shot Castile says the shooting had nothing to do with race and everything to do with a gun being present at the scene.